Friday, October 30, 2009

The Truth about Ancestors

When a friend of mind shared this experience with me, I was so impressed I wanted to post it. It reminds me of DC 93:39. I have had similar experiences and believe they have set me free to love my ancestors for who they really are and make sense of the truth of the past traditions of my ancestors that need some correcting so that I might find real happiness. I like how this experience testifies of modern day prophets and their ability to lead us when we hearken to what they say. I also like how their personal revelation is aligned with the scriptures. When I have similar journaling experiences I do find they are littered with scripture references. I further believe that anyone can have these kinds of experiences. When our hearts are soft and yielding to the spirit the Holy Ghost can bless us with all these various ways of receiving personal revelation.

Here is their experience:

"After a recent family home evening in which we scoured Elder Scott's recent conference talk, To Acquire Spiritual Guidance, for the "advanced" steps of receiving personal revelation in the form of spiritual dictation, I put a spiral notebook and pen beside my bed. I wanted to be ready. After all, Elder Scott had borne witness that I, personally, could learn to master these principles, and I believed him.

A few nights later, I was awakened in the middle of the night and could not get back to sleep after trying for some time. I finally rolled out of bed onto my knees and began praying for sleep. As I prayed, words began to come distinctly to my mind, and I grabbed my notebook, pen and flashlight and began to write what I was receiving.

What followed was an amazing, sacred experience. I felt that one of my deceased grandfathers, who my mother had always talked about as though he were almost perfect, wanted to do some pointing out of and repenting of some attitudes and patterns inherited from his fathers and perpetuated by him that had negatively affected my life and the lives of my siblings. When, at first, as this information was coming, I balked at seeing his faults, this came:

"We would rather you see us as human and lay aside our imperfection, then see us as "perfect' and blindly copy them and pass them on."

Sometimes it may seem "disloyal" to see those we love--our parents and grandparents--as human, with weaknesses and strengths, instead of as perfect. But I have learned that once we are on the other side of the veil, we would rather our posterity see and graciously, gently lay aside our weaknesses, than imagine we are perfect and perpetuate them. I can imagine that it would be a cause of great remorse to have set certain behaviors in motion while in mortality, and then watch from beyond the veil as posterity whom I loved "loyally" copied my mistakes. How difficult it would be to repent and really feel "done" with those mistakes if there were those in mortality still suffering from them! I am thankful for this "permission" to see the truth of things as they really are, for "the truth shall set [us] free"!

--Anonymous

Worshiping our ancestors and appreciating who they are....is not the same.

Sometimes I talk to a client who doesn't discern this difference I like to explore the question...what is wrong with being perfect?

I would be interested in your insights...What is wrong with being perfect?

1 comment:

  1. This is a great reminder to be open anytime to the prompting that the Lord would have us follow. I need to get a pen and notebook for my night stand.

    With out the faults and imperfections of our parents and ancestors there would be no wonder in seeing how they over came them to be who they are.

    ReplyDelete